How to Create a Morning Routine that Works for You
Whether you are already a morning person, or the farthest thing from it, creating a morning routine doesn’t have to be hard. You don’t have to wake up at 4 a.m. and do an hour-long workout in order to have a productive morning. The key is finding what works for YOU. And what works for you, your spouse, and your best friend will all be different. However, what is the same is that everyone can benefit from incorporating a morning routine into their day.
Starting your day with a strong morning routine can set you up for a productive, successful, and energetic day. It can boost your mood and bring you confidence and peace.
In today’s blog post, we’ll cover how to create a morning routine that works for you, a list of activities that are great additions to a morning routine, and tips for making the most of your morning. So, let’s get started.
Creating a Morning Routine that Works for You
Each of us are uniquely individual, which means that to have the most beneficial morning routine, they must be as well. Below are some steps you can take to develop your own morning routine.
- Start by making a list of everything you’d ideally like to include in your morning routine.
- Put all the items in your list in order of importance to you. The things that you feel would benefit you the most or that you’d most like to start your day with can go at the top.
- Make note of how long each of these tasks will take.
- Decide how long you would like your morning routine to be. The recommended time is anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes. But if you’re just starting out, even 10 minutes can be beneficial.
- Now that you know how long each task will take and how long you’d like to dedicate to your morning routine, you can begin selecting the activities that you will include in your routine and crossing out the items that you won’t have time for.
- Consistently perform this routine every day, every weekday, or every other day (whatever works for you) for 1-4 weeks and see how you feel. Reevaluate how the routine is working for you. Are there items that you aren’t enjoying? Do you feel like you could increase the length of your morning routine and add in a couple more activities? Make adjustments as you need.
Habits for a Productive Morning
Each of us will have different activities that make us feel energized, confident, happy, and at peace. So, our morning routines will all vary. But listed below are some ideas to get you thinking about what you’d like to include in your morning routine.
- Make your bed
- Stretch your body
- Drink water
- Perform a skin care routine
- Move your body
- Review your day
- Set goals
- Repeat your affirmations
- Create a to-do list for the day
Remember, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all morning routine. Try out different things, see how they make you feel, and which items set you up for a successful day.
Tips for Making the Most of your Morning
1. Be flexible
It can take time to establish the perfect morning routine for you. Don’t stress if you accidentally sleep in one day or if an activity takes longer than expected.
2. Be consistent
Consistency is key. Making your morning routine a habit will ensure that you stick to it long-term and continue to reap the benefits.
3. Plan the night before
The more you can prepare the night before, the more time you have in the morning to set yourself up for a successful day.
4. Put off checking your phone
It’s easy to get lost scrolling through social media or checking emails. In order to optimize your morning routine, spend more time doing the activities that fuel you.
Ultimately, the best morning routine is the one that works for you. So, choose activities that bring you joy and that feel good to you. Its easier to be consistent when you enjoy what you’re doing.